Fight Announcement: Paro to Defend IBF World Super-Lightweight Title Against Richardson Hitchins in Puerto Rico
Liam Paro will make the first defense of his IBF world super-lightweight title against Richardson Hitchins on Saturday, December 7, at the Roberto Clemente Coliseo in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The highly anticipated bout will be broadcast live worldwide on DAZN, featuring a stacked card promoted by Matchroom Boxing and Universal Promotions.

Paro’s Journey to the Top
Paro (25-0, 15 KOs), hailing from Australia, captured the IBF title after an impressive unanimous decision victory over Subriel Matias in June. This win, in Matias’ home of Puerto Rico, was a career-defining moment for Paro, marking his 25th unbeaten bout in eight years. The 27-year-old champion will be fighting in the U.S. for the fourth time, having previously defeated Montana Love by knockout in San Francisco and outpointing Yomar Alamo in Tampa.
Hitchins’ Road to a World Title
Richardson Hitchins (18-0, 7 KOs), the undefeated Brooklyn-born fighter, earned his mandatory shot at the IBF crown after a strong performance against Argentina’s Gustavo Lemos in Las Vegas. Hitchins, now fighting under Matchroom for the fifth time, has been impressive with wins over the likes of Jose Zepeda, John Bauza, and mutual opponent Yomar Alamo. At 27, Hitchins believes this is his moment to take control of the 140 lbs division.
“All the so-called big guys at 140lbs lost their tongues, so I decided to bring on my mandatory defense early,” Paro said. “I can’t wait to shine again in beautiful Puerto Rico!”
Hitchins is equally confident: “For as long as I can remember, I’ve been saying I’m the best at 140 lbs. December 7 is my time to prove it. Liam Paro beat the so-called boogeyman, but I’m no Matias. This is my division, and everything will run through me.”
Exciting Undercard Featuring Puerto Rican Talent
The night will also highlight Puerto Rico’s best boxers, headlined by a super-featherweight clash between Henry Lebron (19-0, 10 KOs) and Christopher Diaz (29-5, 19 KOs). Lebron, ranked No. 4 in the IBF, returns home after five years, eyeing a 2025 world title shot. Diaz, ranked No. 7 in the WBA, will defend his WBA Continental Latin America title, with both men’s futures on the line.
“I am very happy with this opportunity to fight again in Puerto Rico in front of my people,” said Lebron.
Diaz added: “This is for Puerto Rico, and I won’t let them down.”
Also on the card is Puerto Rican Olympian Yankiel Rivera (6-0, 2 KOs), who aims to end 2024 strong and work towards a world title shot in 2025. “It will be an honor to fight in the legendary Roberto Clemente Coliseo,” Rivera said.
Additional Fights to Watch
- Jalil Hackett (9-0, 7 KOs) defends his WBA Continental Americas welterweight title against Puerto Rican Jose Roman (13-1, 6 KOs).
- Marc Castro (13-0, 8 KOs) returns at lightweight, fresh from his headlining performance at Santa Monica pier.
- Stephanie Pineiro (7-0, 2 KOs) closes her year with an eight-round fight after winning two titles in June.
- A bantamweight clash between Juan Zayas (10-0-1, 8 KOs) and Marcelino Nieves (19-0, 13 KOs) adds more drama, along with William Ortiz (6-0, 4 KOs) facing Lionell Colon (6-0, 3 KOs) at super-lightweight.
Promoter Excitement
Eddie Hearn, Matchroom Boxing’s CEO, said, “Liam Paro was sensational in June, and now he takes on a different but equally tough challenge in Hitchins. It’s the best versus the best, and the atmosphere will be electric from start to finish.”
Javier Bustillo, Universal Promotions CEO, added: “We are excited to bring world championship boxing to Puerto Rico, combining the best Puerto Rican talent with top fighters from around the world. This will be a night of boxing to remember.”
Be sure to tune in on December 7 for an action-packed night of world-class boxing from Puerto Rico!
